Peter Drucker and ‘management’ are synonymous. Long recognized as the “father of modern management” a Forbes magazine cover story called him “the most perceptive observer of the American scene since Alexis deTocqueville.”
The following nine points emerged (out of many) as important lessons to learn about the church as “an organization in America”.
- The mission comes first. The mission of churches (and many non-profits) is ‘changed lives’.
- The function of management is to make the church more church-like; NOT to make the church more business-like.
- An organization begins to die the day it begins to be run for the benefit of the insiders and not for the benefit of outsiders.
- Know the value of planned abandonment. You must decide what NOT to do.
- Know the value of foresight. You can’t predict the future, but you must assess the futurity of present events.
- Focus on opportunities, not on problems. Most organizations assign their best resources to the problems, not the opportunities.
- Management is a social function and has mostly to do with people, not techniques and procedures.
- “People decisions” are the ultimate control mechanism of an organization. That’s where people look to find out what values you really hold.
- All work is work for a team. No individual has the temperament and the skills to do every job. The purpose of a team is to make strengths productive, and weaknesses irrelevant.
I share these thoughts because as we move along down the path of re-opening for worship at church, there will be many issues to address and many decisions to make. We will make these decisions as a leadership team here at Grace; – Pastor, Council, staff – with the best interests of all in mind. We will look to medicine, health & science guidelines; to local, state and federal guidelines; to our Bishop and Synod Office; and to one another. We are “in this” together.
Please remember that this Sunday, May 3, you can gather online to worship. 10AM is live “watch time”. You can make comments, share thoughts, and greet one another.
Thank you to the 21 people who donated blood this past Thursday! The Blood Mobile was on our parking lot from 10AM til 3PM. 5 people from the neighborhood saw the need and responded.
“See” you Sunday – 10AM. Pastor Hillmer
Telephone 813.961.8747/Fax 813.264.6310
Rev. John S. Hillmer, Senior Pastor