Welcome to Grace Lutheran Church, a Welcoming Congregation, officially recognized as a congregation of the Florida Bahamas Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The church celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2010. Whether you are new to Tampa or just new to the congregation, I hope you will find your spiritual home with us. Sometimes that happens during weekly Sunday Services when a melody, prayer or sermon touches a responsive chord. Other times, fulfillment comes when we watch our children or grandchildren help lead worship, sing a song or laugh together. Sometimes it happens when the High School Youth Group gathers or when the Prime Timers meet socially and share a good meal. Certainly, all of us feel a sense of family & tradition when we celebrate our liturgies, gather for rituals, or participate in mission projects.
The church offers a wide range of programs and services designed to share God’s grace with our members and the communities we serve. Our primary focus here at Grace is to advance God’s Work in Our Hands — an outcome of the way we deepen our relationship with Christ and the church, beginning with our Sunday services, which embrace both traditional and contemporary worship. Members are also actively involved in many small group activities including Bible study, missions and outreach, care and support ministries, as well as dynamic children’s and youth programs.
Our Mission: “To Know Christ and to Make Christ Known”
Our Vision: “Connecting people to people, people to Christ, and people to their roles in the world.”
We are a diverse body of believers united in the faith and core values we share:
- Christ centered: Focused on the life, words, and Spirit of Jesus proclaimed in the New Testament;
- Biblically rooted: Encouraging active, regular, faithful study of the Bible, using tools of devotion, scholarship and global perspective;
- Warm hearted: A generous, loving, laughing congregation which experiences the grace of God in Jesus Christ in personal and positive ways;
- Open minded: A place where people search, think, question and honestly express their growing experience of the faith in an accepting and affirming atmosphere;
- Mission directed: Carrying the sense of mission of Jesus’ words to go to all the world. Our mission is in the neighborhood, in the city and to all cultures;
At Grace Lutheran Church, we are rooted in the great, historic teachings of the Christian Church, as clarified by the Lutheran reformers of the 16th century. Yet we do not simply copy the past. We take the unchanging Good News of Jesus Christ, and seek to live it in ever-fresh ways that put “flesh and bones” to God’s Promises today.
You are welcome at Grace Lutheran no matter who you are or where you have been. Because we believe that we are all sinners-saints in need of God’s Grace, we know that there is no place for arrogance or self-righteousness among God’s people. Grace is a place of faith, hope and healing for all.
Welcome in the name of Christ!
Pastor John S. Hillmer